Women are more likely to gain excess belly fat, especially deep inside the belly, as they go through perimenopause and into menopause. This is due to the fact that as estrogen levels drop, body fat is redistributed from the hips, thighs and buttocks to the abdomen. Oh and do I know this one for sure.
What Is Belly Fat?
Belly fat is excess abdominal fat surrounding the organs in your stomach. There are three types of fat: triglycerides (the fat that circulates in your blood), subcutaneous fat (the layer directly below the skin’s surface) and visceral fat (dangerous belly fat).
Top 10 Belly Fat Burning Foods
- Oatmeal: This weight loss superfood is high in protein and low in calories, which make it the perfect food for a flat stomach. Oats take time to digest in the body, so it tends to burn calories.
- Almonds: Almonds are an excellent source of protein, but they may also have significant fat-burning power. Eating almonds every day is associated with greater weight loss.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil cuts hunger. You won’t burn belly fat (or any fat, for that matter) unless you first take in fewer calories than your body needs to fuel itself.
- Eggs: A plate of eggs is an optimal morning meal, too. Eggs (especially the yolks!) are jam-packed with vitamins D and B12, both of which help your body burn fat.
- Whey Protein: This supplement also promotes fat loss, suppresses appetite and improves glycemic control.
- Berries: Blueberries contain a natural antioxidant called Catechins. Catechins kick-start the fat burning genes in your stomach, helping you burn belly fat faster than would have otherwise been possible.
- Lean Meats: High in protein. Fat is calorie-dense, so fattier cuts of meat have a higher calorie count. Here are the best lean meats to lose belly fat. The best lean meats are skinless chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, eye of the round steak, and pork.
- Whole Grains: To peel off belly fat, ditch refined grains like white bread and white rice, and eat more whole grains such as oatmeal, barley, farro, quinoa, whole-wheat pasta, and brown rice, research has found.
- Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is considered a healthy fat because of its monounsaturated fat content. Eating peanut butter won’t automatically make your body burn fat. However, the monounsaturated fat content can control your cravings for sugary snacks and junk food.
- Green Vegetables: Green leafy vegetables like spinach, cabbage, kale etc. are loaded with fibre. They help to provide essential nutrients to the body and are low in calorie count. Thus, including them in your diet helps to lose weight and the excess fat around the belly. Cucumbers are great to lose belly fat and reduce body weight.